Friday, September 21, 2012

The red chicken trivet from sister Lois in
Iowa looks great against the Jayhawk blue.


Well, here's some more news from the girls.  Louie collected NINE eggs today.  That's a record. Tomorrow night is the neighborhood potluck.  Guess what we're taking?
It's 7:00 pm.  Time to let the chickens out to scratch around the yard until dark. It has been interesting to track dusk with the girls.  Tonight they roosted at 7:40.  In the depth of summer we were out there with the girls until nearly 9:00 pm. I guess we'll start letting them out around 6:00 pm, so they have more time in the yard.

Another exciting view this evening:  Six geese flew right over me as I sat on the garden bench.  The sun glinted off their bellies and I could hear the flap of their wings.  It was another reminder of fleeting beauty, and I'm glad I was out there to see this one.

French toast:  Mix 4 eggs with cream or milk and a teaspoon of real vanilla (or rum).  Dip sour dough bread from Wheatfield's Bakery into the egg mixture.  Cook in butter in a cast iron skillet until golden brown.  Top with whatever you have on hand.  Today I topped with Louie's home made grape jelly and a dusting of powdered sugar.  Yum!
The Joesphinas just love Swiss Chard.  
The golden scratch is another favorite.  That's
corn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment