Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Eggs-citing News

This beautiful sight greeted me as I opened the chicken coop
last night after we arrived home from 3 days in cool, wet
Colorado.  
Look what I found!  July 9, 2012.  The first egg from our Rhode Island Reds.  I will try to determine who is laying.  We bought the chickens as pullets when they were about 6 weeks old on March 16, so I figure our hens our a little over 5 months old.  Good girls.

Our chicken partner, Jim, gets high marks for taking good care of the Josephinas in triple digit weather. Louie and I spent 3 days in Colorado for our grandson, Campbell's, birthday.  He is 5 now and is curious about the chickens.  If he comes to visit at the end of July, we will pop some corn and feed it to the hens. They love corn in all its forms.

Those chickens are beginning to be like pets.  I didn't want to like them so much, but . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment